Spring Cleaning..aka, I'd Rather Be Crocheting!

It's that inevitable time of year again here in the Wilson household...spring...cleaning! Aaaaah! Today's main focus was our master bedroom. With a little help from the hubby (aka, Mr. Muscles), I stripped the sheets and blankets off our bed, and we rotated the mattress. Whew..who knew those things were so heavy? In the washer went the sheets and blankets, and I began the long, trudging process of putting away laundry. If you looked into my dresser drawers, you'd realize..well, I'm a bit of a slob. Fold things? Pfft! As if! I mean, they start out folded, but then I go rummaging around and well...messy. :)

Another one of my tasks today was one I actually enjoyed, though not related to spring cleaning. (Which may be why I enjoyed it!). I've always sworn that I was born into the wrong culture... Don't get me wrong, I love my Irish/English/Scottish/French background, but I am a sucker for all sorts of foods with international flair. Today? Chinese. I think I could dive into a giant wok of stir fry and be blissfully happy. I'm sadly wok-less at the moment, but a saute pan worked just as well.



Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry


I had a TON of vegetables in my fridge..and I mean a ton...so I decided to make chicken and vegetable stir fry, steamed brown rice and egg rolls. The stir fry (see above) had sauteed chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, garlic and carrots. I would've posted a picture of the egg rolls, but...whoops..we ate them first. :) I don't typically use a recipe when I make stir fry, but here's an idea of what I did.


CraftyGirl's Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry


Ingredients:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 pound chicken breast, cut into small chunks
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small head of fresh broccoli, cut into small pieces
about 2 cups of fresh cauliflower, cut into small pieces
2 carrots, peeled & cut into small pieces
1/4 pound asparagus, cut into small pieces
12 fluid ounces chicken broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Directions:


1.) Preheat a wok or saute pan over medium heat; add oil
2.) When the pan is hot, add your chicken, ginger and minced garlic. Cook, stirring every minute or so, until chicken is no longer pink
3.) Add in your caulilfower, carrots and chicken broth. Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
4.) Add in your broccoli and asparagus, and simmer until tender. (Usually about another 3-4 minutes)
5.) Add in soy sauce, and stir; simmer for another minute
6.) In a small bowl, place cornstarch. Add some of the broth from the stir fry until it forms a smooth, thin paste. Add this back into the pan, and stir. (Cornstarch will thicken the sauce)
7.) Simmer until sauce has reduced and thickened, and veggies are desired consistency.
8.) Eat! :)


This recipe made enough for hubby and I, but we both LOVE stir fry, so our portions are a little big. :) And you can add any veggies in that you want! Personally, I love peppers, but hubby doesn't...so we compromise and I leave them out from time to time. :)

Stick around for more recipes.. Tomorrow, CraftyGirl makes...pizza!


Until next time...stay crafty!
-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment